SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

From:
Andrea MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1992 22:43:04 PST

> Good Point!  It was this in that newspaper article that I wanted to
> question originally, before I got caught on my scholarly digression.  No
> attack at all on M. Bunster here (I thank him for bringing this interesting
> topic up!), just (if anyone in particular) the newspaper:  It seems that
> the mention of these women's sexuality was an attempt at
> marginalization--as if lesbianism is in any way marginal or even unusual!
> These assumptions are more than the normal play of identity politics.  It
> strikes me that this sort of tacit association of sexual practices with
> these fan writings is an attempt to slot the whole phonomenon as merely
> some strange, and slightly distasteful, erotic game--thus avoiding the more
> in-your-face political implications of this conscious "fixing" of Star Trek
> (by altering and highlighting the unquestioned heterosexism implicit in the
> series).

I don't mean to harp but...
It isn't just the marginalization issues that bother me, when slash
writers are refered to as Lesbians. Many of the slash writers I know
consider themselves straight. So it isn't just a an attempt to
marginalize an "odd practice" but actually negating the
participation of others who don't necessarily associate their
sexuality as lesbian.

The issue with slash isn't the erotica, nor is it the same sex
erotica but the fact that fans of television shows are taking the
fictive universes and doing with them as they see fit.

This argument also goes for crossovers, that is fan zine fiction
that features 2 or more universes and sets of characters.

Andrea MacDonald.