SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1992 15:58:00 CDT
        I worked for over a decade for the Library of Congress in
Washington, D.C. and during that time served on a committee for the
USIA that reviewed many government produced films. We never saw any
CIA films, and as far as I can figure out there was no direct involvement
between the two agencies. This was during the 1960s to middle 70s.
What the committee did was try to reduce trade barriers for audio
visual materials between countries. Also, U.S. government-produced films
are usually prohibited from being shown IN THE UNITED STATES. The
reason given being that the government is not supposed to lobby at
home for its own political ends (i.e., a particular administration is
supposed to be an elected and representative government, not one that
works only to keep itself in power.) Overseas, in an Embassy, all
branches of the US government are physically closer, of course.
Sill, I believe there is little or no involvement of the CIA in the
work of the USIA. It would seem very counterproductive to me. A test
of this belief might be your perception of the VOICE OF AMERICA
broadcasts. Do they seem very slanted? We on this continent think
not. But then, we are ---??--- what was it we agreed on SCREEN-L to
call ourselves?? North Americans (excuse me, CANADA! )

                                        JOHN KUIPER
                                        BITNET:JBK@UNTVAX