SCREEN-L Archives

August 1991

From:
"A.J. Wright" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1991 12:32:17 CDT
Dear Networkers-

One way to access a commercialized version of the Library of Congress catalog
is to Telnet to dra.com and follow the instructions. Via UAB I get a scrambled,
barely useable output from dra.com, but others may get cleaner screens
depending on the nature of your connections. A similar size database is
available via MELVYL, the online card catalog for numerous California institu-
tions (Telnet to 31.1.0.1) and a gateway to various other catalogs. Another
network resource is the Cleveland Freenet (129.22.8.76), which is a sort of
electronic city via which you can access the library, the postoffice, etc.
Quite fun. Visitors are welcome on the freenets (there are more than one), but
you will need to apply for a free account if you want to use many resources.
As I mentioned in a previous posting, directories to all these electronic
catalogs are available. New libraries are coming up on the Internet every week.

A.J. Wright     Dept of Anesthesiology         University of Alabama at Bham