SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 91 17:05:44 -0400
Larry Schwartz asks:
> .... could this last
>bit of wiring up the nation be contributing to a political shift to the right
>or left? has anyone written on this subject? would anyone care to write
>on this subject? am i too late with my question?

I don't know if anyone's looked at this question precisely in terms of
dishes, but I have a paper on the general topic of "Television and the
Erosion of Regional Diversity" in the Spring 1986 issue of the Journal
of Broadcasting and Electronic Media (Vol. 30, No. 2). "Hollywood liberals"
may write and produce the programming, but enormous mainstream
corporations pay for them, and ideologically and politically, they
seem to produce a convergence towards the 'greater southeastern US'--
which is to say, decidedly towards the right on most issues.
Dishes in extremely remote areas are an interesting twist, but may
mainly exacerbate existing tendencies. Keep us posted.

Michael Morgan
UMass/Amherst [log in to unmask]