SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

From:
Ken Nagelberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 91 18:28:52 CST
     I'd like to know more about what Kinko's was including in their packets.
If they were reproducing large portions of books that were available for pur-
chase, then the book publishers certainly have a case. But if they were
small selections (less than 10%?) then it sounds like the publishers are the
ones guilty of reckless profiteering for making students buy the whole book.
     The most heinous case of this kind that I was involved in was in a
graduate course. The book the professor wanted to use was out of print,
and the library did not have a copy. The professor wrote to the publisher
to get permission to make photocopies, and they refused. The reason...they
said they might someday want to publish a new edition (they did--10 years
later!).
    Meanwhile, scholars are not allowed to include lyrics from popular songs
in their published research, and so popular songs are greatly under-researched.
Film scholars can't use frames from many films to illustrate visual composition
Professors can't show videotapes of television programs, even though the
tapes are not and probably will never be available for sale or rental.
    Just remember, all of this is supposed to be designed to protect the
"creative process." It sounds to me like it will eventually destroy it!

    By the way--to the person who used the extended selection from the
"Chicago Tribune." That use probably constitutes copyright violation, since
electronic networks have been ruled to be "publication." Like I was really,
going to run out in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and buy a copy of it, huh?!