SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

From:
Jayson Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 91 09:44:55 PST
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The final sequence of the film (where the medals are
>being handed out) is almost an exact copy of a scene in some Nazi propaganda
>film...He did that on purpose of course. He wanted (I think) us to think
>about hero worship and what it could lead to...interesting.

And of course the helmets of Darth Vader and his Stormtroopers were
obviously modeled after German helmets.... Lucas tried very hard, in
many different ways to touch a subconscious nerve in us.

By 'Hero Worship' if you're suggesting that the people that worked for
Vader were involved in hero worship, I concur, yet think it's part of a
larger message, one well described by Joseph Campbell. One about when a
society becomes a 'mechanical system', and 'you' fall victim to it by
becoming a part of the system, as Anakin (Vader) and his followers did.
This is what Skywalker rebels against --- don't rely on the system,
Luke, rely on you. Don't end up like your father (don't follow
'authority' merely for authorities sake), make a stand for right and
against wrong. Lucas created a responsible rebel, one that worked in
earnest for his cause (years studying the Force), and one who acted
instead of complained. Don't let the system make you into a monster, as
many of Hitler's people became.

--Jayson

---------