SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Mark Pollock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 91 09:58:50 EST
I'm a new subscriber with what may be a naive or overly general
question, but with a question nonetheless.  I'm working on a project on
philosophy, political rhetoric, and television; my background is OK in
the first, good in the second, and very out-dated in the last.  In my
reading, I read Kathleen Jamieson's "Eloquence in an Electronic Age."
She makes a claim that would be useful for my project, but I can't find
any support for it in media research.  Her claim, in a nutshell, is
that television as a medium, is best-suited to intimate, self-disclosive,
conversational messages.  Does anyone out there know of any research
that supports her characterization?  Her description has intuitive appeal,
but I'd prefer to go on something more that that.  Any help you might
offer would be greatly appreciated.

-- Mark A. Pollock, Rhetoric & Communication, Temple U. <V5158e@TEMPLEVM>