SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Fiona Oceanstar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 15:52:18 -0500
It's true, Malcolm, that I did write a posting called "Art of the Flame"
in which I used my "horror genre" posting to SCREEN-L as an sample for
critical commentary.

We'd been discussing the "Art of the Flame" (as well as various home-
grown flamers on the list) on WRITERS, and citing such venerable
examples as Mark Twain, H. L. Mencken, etc.  I was asking my fellow
writers to critique that small (I hoped "funny"--but I guess not, to
many, so it was a failure) flame about sexuality research and simple-
minded theories.  I got some good feedback, and hope to get funnier
in the future.

At any rate, the point is, my comment on the theory of film-going was
triggered by cynical laughter at the scene I imagined (and described)--
not prompted, I assure you, by the desire to "experiment" with
flaming.  (Hmmm, there's that word *experiment* again--must be
scientific thinking that is my downfall here...(-:)  The secondary
use of my post to add to the discussion of the aesthetics of flaming,
was just that: a secondary use.

So strange to have everyone talking about me, so soon after my joining
a list!  I can see that writing something not-funny and not-effective-
at-what-it-was-intended-to-be (i.e., not funny), is a fast lane to
fame!  <amused, joking tone of voice with lifted eyebrows, turned-up
corners of mouth, and slight wink>

(figgered ah better lay it on thick)

							--Fiona Oh!