SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 91 20:06:00 EST
{}3
On Screen-L It was said:

>"I'm not so much interested in what text you'd use for a 16mm course, but
>WHY the course is being taught.  I'm not trying to be flip, I'm just
>curious about who the course is directed towards and what the academic/
>practical rationale is.  Certainly not to help those going into TV news,
>since film isn't used anymore.  And for people going into Hollywood, network
>TV, or big time advertising spot production, there are specialized programs
>at the California and New York schools."

WELL!!!! Let me TELL YOU!!! (Ok enough with the dramatics) I go to Ithaca
College in Upstate New York a school of no more than 6,500 students,  AND I AM
IN THE FILM PROGRAM.  Pardon me if I'm being a little harsh I realize you are
not being flip... My answer is half informative and half rejustification for why
I am here because I have had that very same debate several times over.

Ok why shouldn't we leave film programs to the specialized schools in LA and NY
(USC, UCLA, NYU, CAL ARTS) Well for one thing film is a very competitive medium.
If I had ten cents for everyone I knew who wanted to be a director I could PAY
for NYU at its $22,000+ tuition, etc.  Because film is so specialized and
competitive it is hard when you want to get practical experience to go to a
bigger school.  You want to direct a student film?? Well stand in line so doese
everyone else and they DONT'T ALL GET TO DO IT!!!

And how about the student who would like to TRY out film??? I can assure you
that there is NO room for him at NYU or USC... Small school film departments
give a student greater exposure to practical film experience.  I made my First
Film (The INFAMOUS ITHACA COLLEGE 'DOORKNOB FILM')  my freshman year.  You
couldn't say that about NYU or USC.  I am also in upstate NY a far more majestic
place than NYC or WATTS, Ca.  I have chosen (much against any reason of sanity)
to be in this wounderful business of motion pictures.  Which means unfortunately
that I probably will call LA my home so why not spend four years away from LA or
NY and get an education..Not just film...Film makers must have stuff to put in
their films.  Matter of fact my best advice to someone who wishes to write is
DON'T TAKE FILM GET A REAL EDUCATION.....

Now to turn around and counterpoint...There are some real advantages about NYU
and USC.  CONTACTS and more when you do get to do something it gets paid for!!!
I can not say the same for my school!  Anyways being in LA or NY is good for
someone who want's to know 'is this for me?'  and he/she will be much more
prepared with dealing with hollywood.

All I can really say is that you can always do graduate FILM in LA or NY.... But
I really hope that the little guys keep at it. Because some really good stuff
comes out of NON LA or NY places!

                        I hearby relinqush my soap box.
                                        -Geoffrey Kleinman

P.S. An interesting footnote... Film IS USED in Network TV- Look at LA LAW,
Thirtysomething, Gabriels Fire...and all other hour format dramas.  They are all
shot on film.  Also I have always told people looking into going into TV..Take
film you'll look at TV in a whole different light and you will do MUCH better in
it.  I aside from my film work take LOTS of TV classes!