SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 91 21:16:17 CST
On Sat, 23 Mar 91 10:19:00 EST Roger Simon said:
>two topics I'd be interested in hearing reactions to. The first is the
>issue of the critique of the loose way the concept of "resistance" has been
>used in recent audience response studies e.g. fiske, morely, hobson, etc.
>David Scholle has an interesting article in the first issue of the Journal of
>Urban and Cultural Studies that attempts to re-insert the primacy of a
>political economic notion of resistance back into cultural studies which he
>sees as lapsing to far into a concern with an a political semiosis....or
>rather treating semiotic democracy as an end in itself [does this ring a bell
>with anyone?]

Haven't seen that piece--or, indeed, that new journal.  Where is it being
published?

By "resistance" I presume you're talking about types of reading/decoding
that somehow "resist" dominant ideology and/or hegemony.  Am I ringing the
right bell?

I'm afraid I'm pretty ignorant of political economic theory, and thus don't
have a clue what its notion of resistance would be.  Could you elaborate?
And if Fiske/Morely/Hobson (and Hall?) are "apolitical," then what would
"political" cultural studies entail?

>I work out of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education in Toronto which
>has a lively, large group of faculty devoted to teaching and research in the
>area of critical pedagogy and cultural studies.

I hope you'll pass around the news of SCREEN-L's existence.  Bring some of
that liveliness to BITNET/Internet!

          You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
                                     --Booker T. Washington

|                                      | Bitnet   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
|                                      | GEnie    :           J.BUTLER27 |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |