SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 91 09:48:56 CST
Do we have definitive word yet on the legality of using videotapes of
copyrighted material in the classroom (here in the U.S.)?

Is it legal, for instance, to show a videotape of CTIZEN KANE to a class
in film history?  Does it make a difference if that tape has been (1)
bought in pre-recorded form, (2) rented from the local video rental
outlet, (3) copied off television?

Is the situation any different for material that originally appeared on
television--e.g., PBS's THE CIVIL WAR?

There's been so many conflicting opinions of the legality of this grey
area in the teaching of film and TV that I've been wondering if the
situation is any clearer now than it was when videotape first came on
the scene.

Could our non-U.S. subscribers comment on how this is handled in their
countries?

          Number of the 6 best-selling extracurricular books in college
          bookstores that are collections of cartoons:  4.

|                                      | Bitnet   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
|                                      | GEnie    :           J.BUTLER27 |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |