SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 91 20:39:06 EST

>How 'bout translating some of your jargon into English, Jeremy?  'Sounds
>like interesting stuff, but I don't have the background.  For example:
>discourse theory, text-oriented, audience-oriented, the viewer as
>"subject" and so on.
>                                                        --Fiona

The reason that "jargon" gets used is that if you had to explain what "discours
e theory"means every time you wanted to use the word, you'd never get to _say_
anything: you'd spend all your time defining words. Even within the given disc
ursive community it's really dismaying how many different definitions you somet
imes have to keep in mind in comparing people's work,as X may use a word diffe
rently than Y.(Although if someone is brave enough to post a rudimentary dicti
onary that might solve the problem...)

And you might want to keep in mind, Fiona, that the reason some of us are_on_
this list is to discuss the sort of "jargon" things Jeremy is talking about.

M. Tepper
Brown University