SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Ian Jarvie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 91 13:27:06 EST
I think Fiona's brain froze over, after a great start, when she translated
Curt's commonets about the viewer into individualistic terms.  He made the
extraordinary claim that the viewer's discursive resources are "determined"
by education, ideology and common sense.  If he had said they were informed
by those things, OK.  By not saying that he puts his own discourse about
discourse into limbo, since he too must be "determined" by his education,
ideology and common sense.  Thus he is a mouthpiece for abstract social
forces, just as his view of "determinations" requires for the ordinary
viewer.
Now what is the point of discourse like that.  If our discursive resources
are dtermined then our discourse is dialogue of the deaf.
icj