SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 91 11:00:18 CST
On Tue, 26 Mar 91 13:35:24 +0100 H. Borchers said:
>You know, it's a small world! I happen to be one of the German
>colleagues Ellen Seiter has been working with on what you call a
>mammoth soap opera study. The book you are referring to is _Remote
>Control: Television, Audiences, and Cultural Power_, edited by Ellen,
>myself and two others colleagues and published by Routledge in 1989.
>The paperback edition will be out shortly. As you can guess from the
>title, the book is not only about U.S. soaps but about television in
>general.

That's funny!  Yes, the academic world (especially the film/TV academic
world) is a tiny one.

I have to admit I haven't yet read _Remote Control_, but I've spoken
with Ellen about it.  And it raises a question that's general enough
for SCREEN-L at large:

Are there researchers out there that are engaged in audience research
that draws upon discourse theory and other recent styles of analysis
that differ from traditional social science methods?

My own work tends to be text-oriented, rather than audience-oriented.
I know that since the viewer (of film & TV) became the "subject" that
this view is a bit narrow.  Have others had success dealing with
the television viewer?

      Work is the blackmail of survival.

|                                      | Bitnet   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
|                                      | GEnie    :           J.BUTLER27 |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |