SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 91 15:00:27 CST
On Sun, 24 Mar 91 10:05:38 +0100 H. Borchers said:
>To me as an American studies person with an interest in media studies
>SCREEN-L is a boon. It'll help me to stay in touch, even though I
>live and work in Germany. Thanks for the initiative, Jeremy Butler!

Glad to help out, Hans.  Please spread the word about SCREEN-L around
German and Europe, won't you?

>I'm particularly interested in the aspect of production analysis.
>Have there been any important publications since Michael J.
>Intintoli's book _Taking Soap Operas Seriously_ (1984)?

Allow me somewhat immodestly to suggest:

Jeremy G. Butler, "Notes on the Soap Opera Apparatus:  Televisual
Style and AS THE WORLD TURNS,"  CINEMA JOURNAL 25, no. 3 (spring
1986):  53-70.  This piece mostly focuses on visual style in soaps
and its function in meaning production.

Also, I know that Ellen Seiter has been working with two German (!)
colleagues on a mammoth soap opera study (stressing audience research
from a non-social science perspective).  I don't have the title in
front of me though.  Can anyone else fill in the details?

Also, E. Ann Kaplan's anthology, REGARDING TELEVISION (LA: AFI
Monograph series, 1983) has bits and pieces on soaps; as does Robert
C. Allen's collection, CHANNELS OF DISCOURSE (Chapel Hill:  U of
North Carolina Press).

I'm not in my office so I can't give you more information just now.
Let me know if you'd like more.

      Power in defense of freedom is greater than power in behalf of tyranny
      and oppression.
                                             --Malcolm X

|                                      | Bitnet   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
|                                      | GEnie    :           J.BUTLER27 |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |