SCREEN-L Archives

July 2019, Week 4

From:
Michelle Langford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2019 05:27:01 +0000
Hi Everyone and apologies for cross posting,

I would like to announce the release of my new book Allegory in Iranian Cinema: The Aesthetics of Poetry and Resistance (Bloomsbury, 2019).
It is currently available in Hardback and E-Versions priced for the library market, but will hopefully release in a more affordable paperback version in 12-18 months. I encourage you to order it for your library.

Iranian filmmakers have long been recognised for creating a vibrant, aesthetically rich cinema whilst working under strict state censorship regulations. As Michelle Langford reveals, many have found indirect, allegorical ways of expressing forbidden topics and issues in their films. But for many, allegory is much more than a foil against haphazardly applied censorship rules. Drawing on a long history of allegorical expression in Persian poetry and the arts, allegory has become an integral part of the poetics of Iranian cinema. Allegory in Iranian Cinema explores the allegorical aesthetics of Iranian cinema, explaining how it has emerged from deep cultural traditions and how it functions as a strategy for both supporting and resisting dominant ideology.

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/allegory-in-iranian-cinema-9781780762982/

Regards and thanks!
Michelle

--