SCREEN-L Archives

June 2019, Week 3

From:
Dana Polan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:18:43 -0500
For a project on The LEGO Movie, I'm looking at cases where toys led to movies or TV shows. There are loads of these (especially TV) and I'm particularly interested in examples where it becomes more than simply a narrative where the toys are assumed to be life-endowed characters in their own narrative universe. In other words, GI Joe movies or Bratz and so on. (The distinction of course isn't always absolute.) I'm most interested in cases, though, where the toy comes to life in the presence of a human or, conversely, goes into static toy mode in the presence of a human: Toy Story, Annabelle or Chucky horror films, Talking Tina or Five Characters episodes of The Twilight Zone, Raggedy Ann, and so on.  In other words, situations where the toys are in their own narrative but also have a narrative relation to a human world.

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html