SCREEN-L Archives

October 2018, Week 5

From:
"Lane, Christina" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:14:58 +0000
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

LECTURER, SCREENWRITING

DEPARTMENT OF CINEMA AND INTERACTIVE MEDIA

Position:

The Department of Cinema and Interactive Media in the School of Communication at the University of Miami invites applications for a Lecturer position in Screenwriting with a specialization in television.

The department seeks a Lecturer with experience in screenwriting, ideally television writing. Experience in digital storytelling is an asset. Candidates should have high profile recognition in their field.

An ideal candidate would be able to teach courses across the writing curriculum, including short and feature films screenwriting, episodic television, digital or web series, interactive storytelling, and some business aspects.

Duties:

The responsibilities of this position include: teaching undergraduate and graduate courses; advising and mentoring students; supervising individual and group projects; and engaging in service to the department, university, and the profession. Ongoing professional work is encouraged.

Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a one-year, renewable contract.

Position begins August 2019.

Qualifications:

M.F.A. preferred.

At least three years of demonstrated success in the field and a strong record of professional achievement.

University-level teaching experience is preferred, though evidence of capacity to translate one’s professional experience into excellent teaching will also be considered.

About the Department of Cinema and Interactive Media

The University of Miami’s Department of Cinema and Interactive Media (CIM) aims to prepare a new generation of innovators, storytellers, and leaders in the fields of cinema, transmedia, and interaction design. We provide a comprehensive curriculum that combines critical understanding and hands-­on experience. We focus on the ways that storytelling, design, and technology can entertain, influence, and transform how people communicate with each other and engage with the world.

The main areas of study in CIM include: production, screenwriting, producing, film/media studies, documentary, game design, interactive media, data visualization and emerging technologies.

About the School of Communication

The CIM department is housed within the School of Communication and is joined by the following departments: Strategic Communication; Journalism and Media Management; and Communication Studies. The School’s curriculum is flexible, encouraging students to take full advantage of its resources in technology and research.

Application Materials

--Cover letter, including a discussion of professional experience

--CV

--Names and contact information for three references

--Statement of teaching philosophy

How to apply:
 Please apply to this position through the University’s Faculty Careers Website:

<https://umiami.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UMFaculty><https://umiami.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UMFaculty>https://umiami.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UMFaculty

<https://umiami.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UMFaculty>Accepting applications immediately. Review of applications begins December 1st and continues

until the position is filled.

The University of Miami (UM) is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.

The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Females/Minorities/ Protected Veterans/ Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law.