SCREEN-L Archives

September 2018, Week 4

From:
Charlotte Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2018 10:37:41 +0000
Dear SCREEN-L Subscribers,

We would like to announce a new publication from Duke University Press, which we hope will be of interest.

Technicolored
 Reflections on Race in the Time of TV
Ann duCille

http://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/technicolored

From early sitcoms such as I Love Lucy to contemporary prime-time dramas like Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder, African Americans on television have too often been asked to portray tired stereotypes of blacks as villains, vixens, victims, and disposable minorities. In Technicolored black feminist critic Ann duCille combines cultural critique with personal reflections on growing up with the new medium of TV to examine how televisual representations of African Americans have changed over the last sixty years. Whether explaining how watching Shirley Temple led her to question her own self-worth or how televisual representation functions as a form of racial profiling, duCille traces the real-life social and political repercussions of the portrayal and presence of African Americans on television. Neither a conventional memoir nor a traditional media study, Technicolored offers one lifelong television watcher's careful, personal, and timely analysis of how television continues to shape notions of race in the American imagination.
Ann duCille is Emerita Professor of English at Wesleyan University and author of Skin Trade and The Coupling Convention: Sex, Text, and Tradition in Black Women's Fiction.
With all best wishes,

Combined Academic Publishers

Duke University Press | a Camera Obscura book | September 2018 | 352pp | 9781478000488 | Paperback | £20.99*
*Price subject to change.