SCREEN-L Archives

December 2017, Week 1

From:
Tanya L Goldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 23:04:05 -0500
Sharing NYU Cinema Studies' annual Call for Projects for its Spring 2018
Student Conference. Details below and attached. Please share widely with
your graduate or advanced undergraduate students. Direct any questions to

*What Now? CfP*

NYU Cinema Studies Student Conference

February 23-24, 2018

https://cinemastudiesconference.wordpress.com

The annual Cinema Studies Student Conference at New York University
invites submissions
from a range of disciplines to our conference, “What Now?,” February 23-24,
2018. Besides paper submissions, we welcome archival projects, as well as
theory driven film, art, and performance works.

What now? A discomfiting question. It compels a revisiting of our pasts, a
consideration of where we stand today, and an articulation of the
directions in which we expect, or hope, to go.

As disciplinary boundaries become fluid, technology continues to change,
and temporalities seem increasingly uncertain, it is essential to address
the What Nows confronting our field today, and reconsider those from before.

What are the forgotten futures of the past? How is the now mediated (or
not)? How is the future lived and preserved in the now? Can we think
through, and ‘think-through-bydoing' the futures of our fields? Could a
more vibrant interdisciplinarity, connections between theory and practice,
and a reach beyond academia have answers to offer?

Besides paper submissions, we welcome archival projects, as well as
theory-driven

film, art, and performance works. Topics may include but are not limited to
those

listed below:

*What now?*

• Production, practice, and industry

• Pasts, presents, and futures

• Distribution, exhibition, and circulation

• Activism, criticism, history, and politics

• Archiving, preservation, and accessibility

• Inter-, intra-, and transdisciplinarity

• Expanding and contracting cinemas

• Theory ⇆ Practice

• Connections and ruptures

• Constructions and ruins

• The Anthropocene

Please submit an abstract (250-300 words) and CV to
<[log in to unmask]> *no later than December 30, 2017. If you
are submitting a film, art, or performance work, please include
documentation (stills, video, etc.) in addition to the abstract. Links
preferred
over files.

Tanya Goldman
PhD Candidate