SCREEN-L Archives

June 2017, Week 2

From:
Mikel Koven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2017 19:36:56 +0100
*The Handmaid’s Tale**: Gender, Genre Adaptation – a one-day symposium*
Saturday, 30 September, 2017
Film Studies @ Worcester
Jenny Lind Building, University of Worcester

Despite being written over 35 years ago, Margaret Atwood’s *The Handmaid’s
Tale* (1985), set in a totalitarian New England where fertile women are
kept prisoner in reproductive servitude, has been making headlines in 2017
due to the remarkable Hulu produced television series (screened in the UK
on Channel Four). This symposium seeks to bring together diverse scholars
for a day of discussion and debate.

Film Studies @ Worcester are soliciting proposals for 20-minutes paper
presentations on any aspect of the Hulu adaptation of Margaret Atwood’s
dystopian (and frighteningly prescient) novel.

Areas of potential specialization include:

·         Literary studies

·         Adaptation studies

·         Gender studies

·         Television studies

·         Science-Fiction studies

We particularly encourage multi- (cross-) discipline approaches. An edited
collection of papers may emerge from this symposium.

Please send abstract proposals (between 200-300 words) to Mikel Koven (
[log in to unmask]) by 15 July, 2017.

We are hoping to run this event with no-cost to participants, including
lunch.

--
Mikel J. Koven
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?