SCREEN-L Archives

May 2017, Week 1

From:
Carol Vernallis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2017 19:14:36 -0700
Dear Screen-L Participants:

Lisa Perrott, Holly Rogers, and I are excited to announce our series with
Bloomsbury - New Approaches to Sound, Music, and Media. We're delighted to
consider submissions for collected volumes and/or manuscripts. Here's our
call:

Bloomsbury’s New Approaches to Sound, Music, and Media is a series of
research monographs dedicated to changing our understandings of sound,
image, and their relations across media. Today’s media are shaped by
digital technologies, new modes of production and consumption, varied
platforms, genre blendings, and globalized economic networks. These media
demand new theoretical and aesthetic responses. This series seeks
surprising, interdisciplinary work that explores the intersections between
popular, mainstream, avant-garde, classical and post-classical forms of
audiovisual media. Approaches from the disciplines of dance, neuroscience,
and philosophy, to name but a few, are welcome. Underexamined historical
topics and non-western socioeconomic and technological contexts may help us
understand our present moment, and we encourage these proposals as well.

Possible topics include approaches to practice (authorial and collaborative
innovations, intermedia, transmedia and remediation); interdisciplinary
explorations of new forms, genres and aesthetics; and historical and
contextual studies of artists, composers, and performers. Fast-breaking
topics, like music and big data, augmented reality, the cyborg, and AI are
also encouraged. We hope our commitments to innovative historical,
contemporary, and future-oriented work will encourage greater
responsiveness to our present moment.

Transmedia
Digital media and the music industry
Convergence culture and the new audiovisual turn
Expanded music video and participatory culture
YouTube and online music platforms
Live performance and new-media culture
Virtual and augmented realities
Intermedia
Advertising
Post-classical theatre and dance
Laptop art
Postclassical film
Gaming
Fans as creators
Cultural re-working, appropriation and transformative creative works
New indigenous approaches to Sound, Music and Media
Pre-cinematic audiovisual technologies
Audiovisual activism
Sound, music and media as agents of cultural and political change

Please send proposals to [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];

Best wishes,

Carol Vernallis

Carol Vernallis, Ph.D.
Department of Music