SCREEN-L Archives

December 2016, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2016 08:18:33 +0000
1. Studies in French Cinema 16:3. Special number on Jacques Audiard

2. French and Francophone Special Interest Group

3. Studies in French Cinema Susan Hayward Prize

4. Studies in French Cinema Undergraduate Essay Prize

1. Studies in French Cinema 16:3. Special number on Jacques Audiard

This issue of Studies in French Cinema curated by Julia Dobson has now been published with the following items:

-Julia Dobson, Editorial
-Douglas Morrey, ‘The rough and the smooth: narrative, character and performance in Fingers (1978) and De battre mon cœur s’est arrêté /The Beat that My Heart Skipped (2005)’
-Geneviève Sellier, ‘De battre mon cœur s’est arrêté: la masculinité comme souffrance’
-Julia Dobson, ‘Special affects: reconfiguring melodrama in De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone, Audiard, 2012)’
-Ruth Kitchen, ‘The disabled body in the cinema of Jacques Audiard’
-Isabelle Vanderschelden, ‘Audiard as scriptwriter’
-Julia Dobson, An A-Z of Jacques Audiard
-Julia Dobson and Phil Powrie, Bibliography for Jacques Audiard
-Phil Powrie, Theses on French cinema accepted in 2015

2. French and Francophone Special Interest Group

The British Association of Film Television and Screen Studies Executive Committee approved our proposal for a French and Francophone Special Interest Group (alongside 13 other Special Interest Groups) on 11 November 2016. The Group currently has 23 members. I will be replacing the annual SFC conference by a pre-constituted French and Francophone Special Interest Group panel for the BAFTSS annual conference, comprising papers by members of the Group. I have submitted a panel proposal to the organisers of the 2017 conference.

3. Studies in French Cinema Susan Hayward Prize

The Susan Hayward Prize is awarded annually in January by the
Editorial Board for the best article published in the journal by an
author who was registered as a Doctoral candidate at the time of
submission. The joint winners for articles published in volume 2015 are:
Milosz Paul Rosinski, ‘Touching Nancy’s ethics death in Michael Haneke’s Amour’ (University of Cambridge, UK), and Jiewon Baek, ‘Turning toward the Other the face of humans the face of things and the face of language in the documentaries of Sylvain George’ (Covenant College, USA).

4. Studies in French Cinema Undergraduate Essay Prize

The joint winners of the Studies in French Cinema Undergraduate Essay Prize for 2016 are: Jade Scheepers (Newcastle University), 'The heroines of both Casque d’or (1952) and Et Dieu... créa la femme (1956) present a challenge to 1950s constructions of French femininity. In discussing this statement, consider the role of stardom and star persona, as well as narrative and character construction'; and Miranda Wilkie (University of Warwick), 'Compare the construction of gender in one mass popular text and one auteur film (for instance by Buñuel, the Dardenne brothers or Breillat) studied on the course, paying particular attention to formal aspects of the text. How might we speculate about the two texts’ different potential to mediate issues of gendered identity?'

Phil Powrie
Professor of Cinema Studies
Lewis Carroll Building 27AC05
School of English and Languages
University of Surrey
GU2 7XH
T: 01483 682980
W: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/fahs/people/phil_powrie/index.htm
Chief General Editor Studies in French Cinema: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/englishandlanguages/research/film/sfc/
Chair British Association of Film Television and Screen Studies: http://www.baftss.org/

<http://www.surrey.ac.uk/?utm_medium=internal&utm_source=emailsignature&utm_campaign=UniversityOfTheYear>
[cid:image007.png@01D0F5E0.840EB460]

<http://www.surrey.ac.uk/?utm_medium=internal&utm_source=emailsignature&utm_campaign=UniversityOfTheYear>
<http://www.surrey.ac.uk/?utm_medium=internal&utm_source=emailsignature&utm_campaign=UniversityOfTheYear>
[cid:image002.png@01D0F47E.3A938F30]<http://bit.ly/1pjtrrk>[cid:image003.png@01D0F47E.3A938F30]<http://on.fb.me/1xY68sf>[cid:image004.png@01D0F47E.3A938F30]<http://bit.ly/1wgOL6T><http://bit.ly/1wgOL6T>[cid:image005.png@01D0F47E.3A938F30]<http://bit.ly/ZxiXOa><http://bit.ly/ZxiXOa><http://bit.ly/1CuWVIG>[cid:image006.png@01D0F47E.3A938F30]
<http://bit.ly/1CuWVIG>
<http://bit.ly/1CuWVIG>

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org