SCREEN-L Archives

August 2015, Week 3

From:
"Frank, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:18:23 +0000
i suspect  -- from looking at the survey -- that this is not at all what you were looking for but let me suggest that [among the] most frustrating concepts currently operative [if not explicit] in the humanities is the term "humanities" itself . . . we generally know what administratively falls into that category but we rarely ask why, or how it relates to the traditional humanities, and what exactly is more human or humane or humanistic [choose one or more] about, say, linguistics or cinema studies . . .

and while you’re at it you might [if you’re inclined toward masochism] want to raise the specter of “liberal arts” too

good luck with the survey . . . i look forward to seeing the results