SCREEN-L Archives

March 2015, Week 1

Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:58:46 +0000

1. SFC Undergraduate Essay Prize

2. New Studies in French Cinema Assistant

3. CFP 40 years of Contemporary French Civilization

3. New Books

1. SFC Undergraduate Essay Prize

The Studies in French Cinema Undergraduate Essay Prize 2014 has been awarded to Jules O’Dwyer from the University of Bristol for his essay entitled 'Flesh and the threshold of humanness: Broken bodies in Grandrieux, Glazer and Denis’. The prize consists of £50 and free admission to the Association for Studies in French Cinema Annual Conference.

2. New Studies in French Cinema Assistant

Sara Dicerto, who has been our journal assistant for the past two years, has resigned to take up the post of postdoctoral researcher in the Centre for Translation Studies in the University of Surrey. The SFC Editorial team would like to express our deepest thanks to Sara for her excellent management of the journal, particularly at a time when we have transitioned from Intellect to Routledge. We wish her well in her new role. Our new assistant is Philon Ktenides, who is completing a PhD in Philosophy.

3. CFP 40 years of Contemporary French Civilization
3-5 September 2015
Inner Harbor, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Confirmed plenary speaker:
Mireille Rosello, University of Amsterdam
“Contemporary French Civilization in Times of Precarity: Is Global French Sustainable?”

In the United States, the “French civilization course” grew out of a tradition among scholars working in language departments who wanted to branch out beyond the study of canonical literature. Lawrence Wylie’s pioneering work, including his seminal essay “Teaching the French Civilization Course,” charted new ground in the early 1980s to help forge this tradition. Yet, in many modern language departments across North America, the study of French civilization has, arguably, never taken strong hold, and generally only comprises one or two courses within the overall curriculum. As Contemporary French Civilization (published by Liverpool University Press) turns 40, we aim to assess the state of the field in the academy and take note of current scholarship trends in light of ever-changing university resources, institutional contexts, and student interest. “Civilization studies” and “cultural studies” have also become institutionalized differently in a variety of contexts in North America, the UK and Australia, as well as in France and other European countries. Hence, we invite our international colleagues to join us in this investigation as Contemporary French Civilization joins forces with French Cultural Studies (published by Sage) to organize an interdisciplinary and international conference where scholars critically engage with the proposed conference themes.

The conference organizers, Dr. Denis Provencher (University of Maryland Baltimore County), Dr. Nicoleta Bazgan (University of Maryland Baltimore County), and Dr. Sue Harris (Queen Mary University, London), envision a two-pronged approach to the event with: 1) a set of sessions devoted to position essays on any of the suggested topics below and/or assessing the state of the field in civilization studies; and, 2) a second set of sessions devoted to original analytical papers on any cultural productions, artifacts, and fieldwork from the late-nineteenth century to the present. Possible topics include:

Pedagogy
The history of the French civilization course; The future of French culture and civilization studies;
The relevance of contemporary French culture and civilization in today’s curriculum; Contextual approaches to literature and other art forms;
Hybrid approaches to French civilization studies: sources, resources, methodologies; French civilization, technology, and the digital age.

Concepts
Culture and civilization: a transnational history of the terms in Europe; Cultural history vs. cultural studies; Études culturelles and cultural analysis; The anthropology of the contemporary; Is French “Area Studies” passé?

Francophonie and Transcultural French Studies
Are all civilizations created equal in civilization and cultural studies?; France and the Americas;
Quebec Civilization;
Littérature-monde; The “Global French” concept

Popular Culture
Civilization studies vs. cultural studies;
French cultural studies vs. Anglo-American cultural studies;
Resisting the canon: issues of taste, distinction, and shame;
Mass entertainment: stars, celebrities, audiences, readers, viewers, consumers; Popular culture in the academy today;
Semiotics of culture and les nouvelles mythologies

Newer and Future Directions
Contemporary French Civilization: the next decade

The quotidian;
Social movements and protests;
The city, urban, and space studies;
Memory, history, and cultural memory;
Museology and museography;
Film, image studies, and intermediality;
Music and sound studies;
Interculturality and Intercultural Studies;
Ethnic, race, postcolonial, and diasporic studies;
Queer and performance studies;
Intersectional approaches to culture: gender, class, race, and sexuality; Cultural approaches to autobiography and fiction;
French civilization studies on the job market: who hires whom?

The list of conference themes is only a suggestion of possible topics. We look forward to proposals from scholars from a variety of fields, from history to cinema studies, from political science to literature, from geography to performance studies. Explorations of new directions and interdisciplinary approaches are strongly encouraged. We also plan to edit a special double issue of Contemporary French Civilization on the conference themes and hence are looking for a wide variety of topics for this project.

To be considered for the conference, please send your individual abstract (250-300 words) in English or French to Dr. Denis M. Provencher ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). We’re planning a conference format that encourages an environment where all participants are involved in all discussions. For this reason, we cannot accept proposals for multiple-paper sessions.

4. New Books

Gott, Michael and Todd Herzog, eds. 2014. East, West & Centre: Re-framing European Cinema since 1989. Edinburgh University Press.
http://www.euppublishing.com/book/9780748694150

Kleinberger, Alain and Jacqueline Nacache. 2015. Analyse d’une œuvre: La Reine Margot (P. Chéreau, 1994). Paris: Vrin.
http://www.vrin.fr/book.php?code=9782711626083

Coureau, Didier, ed. 2015. Raymond Depardon [L’Immobilité et le movement du monde]. Paris: L’Harmattan.
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index.asp?navig=catalogue&obj=livre&isbn=978-2-343-05035-5

Laborderie, Pascal. 2015. Le cinema éducateur laïque. Paris: L’Harmattan.
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index.asp?navig=catalogue&obj=livre&isbn=978-2-343-05396-7

Palmer, Tim. 2015. Irréversible. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/irreversible-tim-palmer/?K=9780230336971

Phil Powrie
Professor of Cinema Studies
Executive Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences
The Elizabeth Fry Building
University of Surrey
GU2 7XH

Executive Assistant: Linda Ellis < [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> >/+44 (0)1483689445
Webpage: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/fahs/people/phil_powrie/index.htm
Chief General Editor Studies in French Cinema: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sfc
Chair British Association of Film Television and Screen Studies: http://www.baftss.org/