SCREEN-L Archives

November 2014, Week 1

From:
Angelica Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2014 19:01:18 -0500
Cinema Studies Graduate Student Conference

University of Toronto

February 27 - February 28, 2015

PLAY/TIME

University of Toronto’s Cinema Studies Institute invites submissions investigating the dialogism of play and time. We are particularly interested in how we negotiate both concepts’ divided relationship to ontological “fact” and their transgressions of life’s “normalized” functions. Recalling Jacques Tati’s 1967 masterpiece Playtime, we raise questions concerning how the eponymous idea engages with cinematic humor, but we are also interested in how the demarcations of “play” and “work” have been processed through subjective experiences of modernity, especially vis-a-vis changing formal or technological potentialities. Moreover, considering that the term “playtime” is often associated with games or childhood performances, we seek works that contest or negotiate teleological limitations of childhood play (ie. what does playtime mean for adults)
How can cinema help to define the terms and limits of time and play? How do we take the idea of playtime seriously? What does it mean to take silliness seriously? How have transformations (perceptual, generic, bodily, etc.) changed the conceptualization of textual cohesion, and what might these possibilities pose for the future reification/dissolution of selfhood, either in its individual or collective formulations? How does cinema evoke this?

Submissions might consider Gilles Deleuze (Cinema 2: The Time-Image), Henri Bergson (Laughter, An Essay on the Meaning of the Comic), Stanley Cavell (Pursuits of Happiness), Sigmund Freud (Jokes and the Relation to the Unconscious), Susan Sontag (Notes on Camp), and Rob King (The Fun Factory: The Keystone Film Company and the Emergence of Mass Culture).

Potential topics may include, but are not limited to:

Play:

Play as humor: Affect, laughter, comedy

Play as escapism: Spectatorship, recreation, interpellation

Play as romance: Conceptualizations of partnership, auteurism, textual mastery

Play as aesthetics: Structural & language “games”, camp, performance (masquerade, transvestism)

Play as personal teleology: Children’s culture and adolescence

Play as genre: Pulp, subcultural artifacts, nostalgia culture, game studies, new media

Time:

Time as philosophy (temporalities, subjective/affective experiences of “felt” time)

Time as form (“slow” cinema, structuralist avant-garde, chaos cinema)

Time as experience (alternate historiographies, cross-contextualization, diaspora, queer theory)

Time as social construct (labour vs. leisure, “event” theatrical experiences)

Please send 250-300 word proposals and a short biography to [log in to unmask] by December 21, 2014. Selected participants will be notified in early January.