SCREEN-L Archives

August 2014, Week 2

From:
Molly Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 23:41:27 -0500
Hi all,

For those of you still in search of an SCMS panel, please consider
submitting material for our proposed panel below.

Cultivating Citizenship:

Representation and the Politics of Community during the Postwar Period

This panel will address media’s role in the production of  place, identity,
and citizenship during the postwar period. Of particular interest is how
depictions of cities, towns, and suburbs, and consumption of media within
them, influence local identity and the contours of citizenship. Through
analysis of postwar visual culture, this panel asks how people come to know
themselves as citizens of a specific locale and invites participants to
consider the mutually influential relationship between local and national
imaginaries and the built environment.  This panel asks how these
imaginaries negotiate racial difference, class, gender, sexuality,
religion, nationalism, and political ideologies. How can we build upon
established understandings of postwar spatial and geographic histories? How
might we reimagine the period’s preoccupation with both tradition and
innovation? Possible topics include, but are not limited to, theories and
histories of publics, civic engagement, governance, mutuality and
neighborliness, conformity, paranoia, surveillance, movement, segregation,
domestic space, and consumerism.

Interested scholars should send an abstract and brief bio to Alison Kozberg
([log in to unmask]) and Molly Schneider ([log in to unmask]) ASAP,
but preferably by Sunday, August 17.  Informal descriptions of your
proposed project are also acceptable at this stage, as long as you are
prepared to develop a formal abstract for the approaching application
process.  Decisions will be turned around as soon as possible.

Cheers!
--
Molly A. Schneider
Doctoral Candidate