SCREEN-L Archives

July 2014, Week 3

From:
"Peaslee, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 14:51:00 +0000
Dear Colleagues,

Please see the following call for abstracts. Accepted abstracts will be included in a full panel proposal for the 2015 Society for Cinema & Media Studies conference (SCMS) in Montreal. Questions should be addressed to [log in to unmask]

Note: We acknowledge and regret the perhaps unfortunate timing of this call, given the current situation in Gaza. This is simply a function of the upcoming proposal deadline and our desire to give contributors as much time as possible to craft their abstracts. We do not proceed in a spirit of opportunism, and we intend offense to no one on any side of the ongoing crisis in the region.

Many thanks,
Rob
________________________________
Robert Moses Peaslee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
College of Media & Communication
Texas Tech University

Call for Abstracts
SCMS 2015 – Montreal, Quebec – March 25-29

Panel Topic: Israeli Cinema Yesterday and Today
Panel Chair: Robert Moses Peaslee, Texas Tech University

Deadline: August 15

As Ella Shohat (1989) has observed, the state of Israel, having used cinema as a tool since its modern beginnings, stands in an interesting, perhaps unique position – the history of Israeli cinema is in many ways a reflection of the history of Israel itself. Cinema in modern Israeli history is vastly important, as film was widely used as a mechanism for establishing and projecting national identity. As Talmon& Peleg (2011) have pointed out, this identity has transformed over time: early films focused on the Zionist ideology, while later films developed “masculine models,” and later still filmmakers began focusing on “(sub)cultures as well as  minorities.”

This panel seeks to bring together a diverse set of papers that consider Israeli cinema in both its historical and contemporary senses, bringing particular attention to bear on the political impact or potential of locally-produced cinema and its representations in so complex and consequential a society.

Please e-mail a250-350-word abstract, along with a five-source bibliography and brief biographical statement, by August 15, 2014 to Kimberly Jones ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Accepted abstracts will be included in a full panel proposal, and accepted authors will need to be members of SCMS at the time of proposal submission (prior to August 30, 2014).

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html