SCREEN-L Archives

April 2014, Week 5

From:
TWN Distribution <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2014 09:32:09 -0400
*Third World Newsreel is proud to announce the release of LITTLE BROTHER:
THE FIRE NEXT IME, the next installment of Nicole Franklin and Jasmin
Tiggett's short documentary series dedicated to giving Black boys a unique
voice.*

"This endearing documentary series presents Black boys as dignified and
fully human, which makes Little Brother an exception, rather than the rule."
- Byron Hurt, Film Director, Beyond Beats and Rhymes, Soul Food Junkies,
Barack & Curtis

LITTLE BROTHER is a series of short documentary films dedicated to giving
Black boys a unique voice. Beginning in 2010, filmmakers Nicole Franklin
and Jasmin Tiggett started taking an annual look at Black boys as young as
nine years old for a one-on-one conversation demystifying what society
tends to rob them of: LOVE.

LITTLE BROTHER: THE FIRE NEXT TIME was filmed in Muskogee, OK, where the
Cherokee Nation and the Descendants of Freedmen of the Five Civilized
Tribes have been in court concerning the Freedmen's rights as Cherokee
citizens. Our young African Cherokees present a candid discussion on love,
tribe, family, and race.

"A wonderful documentary film series that gives young black boys a real
platform to talk about an array of subjects - love, life, and simply put,
how they see the world around them."
- Shannon Effinger, Society HAE

"Our culture comes through in our youth, and we're motivated by young
people doing great things... You'll definitely feel the experience of
Little Brother."
- COMMON, Rapper, Actor & Activist

Nicole Franklin | 2014 | 17 min | documentary | $75
http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=1373&card=price

ALSO AVAILABLE

Little Brother: Things Fall Apart (Chapter 1)

Little Brother: Things Fall Apart is the first installment in the series.
Set in Camden, New Jersey, well known as one of the nation's most dangerous
cities, the film takes a look at boys, aged nine to thirteen years old,
growing up among extreme violence, poverty and crime, and explores their
feelings on love and relationships set against impossible odds. DVD extras
include an extended interview with Dr. Raymond Winbush, author of The
Warrior Method: A Parents' Guide to Rearing Healthy Black Boys.

Nicole Franklin & Jasmin Tiggett | 2010 | documentary | 18 min | $75
http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=1332&card=price
---------------------------------------

Little Brother: The Street (Chapter 2)

Little Brother: The Street is a follow up to the debut film, Little
Brother: Things Fall Apart. With an introduction by actor/Hip-Hop artist
COMMON, this second chapter of the series has the camera accompanying young
men during their walk home from school on the very active streets of
Chicago's South Side. The Chicago youth discuss their thoughts on peer
pressure, family dynamics, dating, the perceived media assault on their
community and staying safe on the streets. Little Brother: The Street is
filmed entirely on the iPhone4.

Nicole Franklin | 2012 | documentary | 17 min | $75
http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=1333&card=price

Little Brother: A Do Right Man (Chapter 3)

The third chapter of the documentary series Little Brother focuses on the
young men of St. Petersburg, Florida, during the year 2012. In the
aftermath of the Trayvon Martin shooting, we hear from young men in the
state of Florida about the relationships that are helping prepare them or
adult life, and the challenges ahead.

Jasmin Tiggett | 2012 | 17 min | documentary | $75
http://www.twn.org/catalog/pages/cpage.aspx?rec=1336&card=price

| How to Order
Online: Visit www.twn.org to place your credit card or PayPal order.
Fax: Print our order form and fax it to (212) 594-6417.
Mail: Send our order form to Third World Newsreel, 545 8th Avenue, Suite
550, New York, NY 10018.
Phone: Call us directly at (212) 947-9277 ext. 11.
Payment: We accept institutional purchase orders, checks, money orders,
credit cards and PayPal accounts. Remember to add $20 for shipping and
handling.