SCREEN-L Archives

December 2013, Week 2

From:
Paloma Gil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2013 17:20:52 -0500
Hi,

I am a graduate student from Paris, writing a thesis on the distribution of
concert films in the US. I am seeking advice on completing my data set.

I'm finding that the majority of the figures I need (however unreliable)
can be found in the archives of Variety Weekly. I just returned from a few
weeks in New York, consulting the microfilm archives at the New York Public
Library, but had to return to Paris before I could complete my data
collection.

As a graduate student, I do not have the resources to pay the $600
subscription fee the Variety requires for access to its archives (on
varietyultimate.com). I have written to Variety to consider limited access
either *pro bono* or at a reduced rate and I am waiting to hear back.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to
procure the data set. Specifically, I need to consult many Weekly Variety
editions for their chart of the Top Fifty Grossing Films of the Week (from
1960 to the 1990's). I haven't been able to find these charts collated into
a single volume and wanted to see anyone knew if such a collection existed.

Thank you,

Paloma