SCREEN-L Archives

November 2013, Week 4

From:
Sandy Camargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2013 15:04:47 -0600
What a great idea for a course! I wish I could take it.

You don't say what level the course is, so it's hard to suggest appropriate
readings. I've taught a small unit on how Hollywood represents TV, which
included some of the films you've listed (*A Face in the Crowd, Network,
Videodrome, Goodbye and Good Luck* [which wouldn't fit into your "bad
device" idea], and *The Truman Show). *The students responded really well
to it. One book that helped me a lot is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cinema-Dreams-Its-Rivals-Internet/dp/0816635994/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385240203&sr=1-1&keywords=cinema+dreams+its+rivals

One point that was worth making was how Hollywood became progressively
connected to these media economically but still represented them as
destructive.

Good luck,
Sandy Camargo

--
Sandy Camargo
Senior Lecturer in English and

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org