SCREEN-L Archives

August 2013, Week 2

From:
Eric Hoyt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:50:25 -0500
I'm pleased to announce that Lantern, the new search and visualization
platform for the Media History Digital Library, is now online. You can
access the platform at http://lantern.mediahist.orgor simply type your
query into the searchbox of the existing MHDL site:
http://mediahistoryproject.org.

I'm also happy to share the news that the first 20 years of Variety
(Dec. 1905- Feb. 1926) is now freely available on the MHDL.
Post-production on the next 20 years of Variety is underway.

The MHDL has digitized over 800,000 pages of out-of-copyright media
publications for open access. Many of the rare magazines in our
collection came from the Library of Congress Packard Campus, and you can
see the full list of contributing individuals and sponsors on the
credits webpage <http://lantern.mediahist.org/credits/index>.The MHDL's
searchable collections now include:

·      Business Screen (1938-1973)
·      Educational Screen (1922-1962)
·      The Film Daily (1918-1948)
·      International Photographer (1929-1941)
·      International Projectionist  (1933-1965)
·      Transactions of SMPE and Journal of SMPE (1915-1954)
·      Motion Picture Magazine (1914-1941)
·      Motography (1909-1918)
·      Movie Classic (1931-1937)
·      Movie Makers (1926-1953)
·      Moving Picture World (1907-1919)
·      The New Movie Magazine (1929-1935)
·      Photoplay (1914-1943)
·      Radio Annual and Television Yearbook (1938-1964)
·      Radio Digest (1923-1933)
·      Radio Mirror (1934-1963)
·      Radio Broadcast (1922-1930)
·      Sponsor (1946-1964)
·      Talking Machine World (1906-1928)
·      Variety (1905-1926)

In addition to searching Lantern, we invite you try out the homepage's
interactive magazine gallery. You may visually sort the collections by
genre, page count, circulation, and the number of academic citations.
The covers link to our holdings of the magazine.

Lantern and the scanning of Variety were made possible through the
support and close cooperation of the University of Wisconsin-Madison's
Department of Communication Arts. Special thanks go to Tony Tran, Derek
Long, Kit Hughes, Pete Sengstock, and Michele Hilmes at UW-Madison and
Carl Hagenmaier, Wendy Hagennmaier, Andy Myers, Joseph Pomp, Anne Helen
Petersen, and David Pierce at the MHDL.

Please give Lantern a try and encourage your students to use it this
Fall. I'm also collecting user metrics and "impact stories" for my
tenure dossier, so if this platform proves valuable to your research
and/or teaching, please drop me a line and let me know.

Eric Hoyt

--
Eric Hoyt
Assistant Professor of Communication Arts

Co-Director: Media History Digital Library
http://mediahistoryproject.org/

Designer, Developer, Producer: Lantern
http://lantern.mediahist.org