SCREEN-L Archives

July 2013, Week 2

From:
Lizzie Finnegan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2013 16:18:40 -0400
Dear all,

My colleague Ruth Goldman and I welcome you to apply to this panel on women
media makers for the 2014 SCMS conference. We are open to a very broad
range of ideas, approaches, and interpretations, so even if you are not
sure if your idea fits, please feel free to email us with questions!
Abstracts are due by August 5th.

CFP: The Elusive Woman Media Maker

Despite the fact that some forty years ago, women were emboldened to start
their own training and distribution collectives and organizations, and
eventually, festivals, film and media studies students today are
hard-pressed to name even one woman media maker. Pedagogy and scholarship
continue to privilege and canonize a select few women media makers and
works while inadvertently excluding countless individual women and media
collectives, who work—either deliberately or by default—in the margins,
outside of mainstream modes of production.

Because decisions about preservation and distribution are largely tied to
this very pedagogy and scholarship, many important women media makers and
their works remain un- and under-appreciated. Worse, often their works have
become inaccessible, trapped in the amber of older formats or forgotten in
arcane vaults or dusty attics.  Thus an enormous body of groundbreaking
work in film and media history is submerged in limbo. Often pioneering
women are recognized post-mortem or late in their career; and such
recognition does not always translate into increased funding or
distribution, as the office-in-the-street scene from Agnes Varda’s
self-made memoir *Les Plages d’Agnès* so trenchantly illustrates.

 While women continue to lack mainstream funding, distribution, and
recognition, there *are* significant numbers of women working in
independent feature and short narrative, experimental, animation,
documentary, and various hybrid forms of media. Furthermore, historically
and today, women have been and continue to be leaders in grassroots
community and activist media. This panel will investigate some of the
historical and contemporary reasons for and implications of the large
number of women media makers working in and with alternative modes, spaces,
networks, and forms of production and distribution, including the scarcity
of scholarly and pedagogical attention to these forms.

Paper topics may include but are not limited to:

--Historical and contemporary independent/alternative women media makers

--Women media makers and film/video/media technology

--Historical and contemporary women media makers’ collectives and networks

--Historical and contemporary women working in community and activist media

--Women media makers and alternative modes of funding and/or distribution

-- How film and media studies pedagogy and scholarship affects women media
makers

--Preservation of women’s media

--How film and media criticism/the festival circuit/awards system affects
women media makers

Please submit an abstract of no more than 250 words by August 5th to

Elizabeth Finnegan  <[log in to unmask]>

Ruth Goldman         <[log in to unmask]>

http://www.cmstudies.org/forums/posts.asp?group=&topic=604954&DGPCrPg=1&hhSearchTerms=&#Post604954

cheers,

Lizzie

Elizabeth Finnegan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English
D’Youville College Liberal Arts Department
320 Porter Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14201
716.829.8481
***
We find certain things about seeing puzzling, because we do not find the
whole business of seeing puzzling enough.*
---Ludwig Wittgenstein

*I do not want to show things but to give people the desire to see.
---Agnes Varda*

Do you GoodSearch?
I GoodSearch for The Southern Poverty Law Center
Internet or shopping online with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered
by Yahoo!