SCREEN-L Archives

January 2013, Week 4

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:03:11 +0000
There are some nice (but techno-jargon-laden) clips and information bits on the recording/filming processes for the film at

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/making-a-musical-les-miserables/

But see especially this quote from production sound mixer Simon Hayes:

“But with Les Misérables, Tom [Hooper] wanted all the angles covered from all sides to capture the perfect performance. This meant we couldn’t rely so heavily on the booms because the wider angle coverage would stop them getting close enough.  Our solution was to come at the recording from a different angle, and make lavaliere microphones our priority.”
http://broadcastengineering.com/microphones/les-mis-rables-sings-true-stars-set-audio-recording

The singers had piano accompaniment on the set fed into earpieces, and the orchestral score was added in post-production.  (Sort of the opposite of what happened with Beyonce's "Star Spangled Banner" at the Inauguration, apparently.)  Some reports claim that a scene might have had up to 21 takes, but it is not clear that the director chose to mix-and-match clips from the sequential takes rather than just from the multiple cameras recording one single take.

In spite of the fact that I don't really care for this kind of musical, I thought that Les Miz pulled it off much better than the arguably more technically polished singing in such things as the film version of the Phantom of the Opera musical.

Don Larsson

"I don't deduce.  I observe."
--Roger O Thornhill

Donald F. Larsson, Professor
English Department, Minnesota State University, Mankato