SCREEN-L Archives

December 2012, Week 3

From:
Dennis Bingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:52:23 -0500
Many of the "New Hollywood Cinema" films of the 1970s have incompetent heroes, characters who fail to do what, generically, they are supposed to do.

Jack Nicholson and Elliott Gould are detectives who detect nothing in CHINATOWN and THE LONG GOODBYE. Warren Beatty is certainly incompetent in MCCABE AND MRS. MILLER. Ditto Nicholson as a writer who doesn't write in THE SHINING. Al Pacino is an incompetent bank robber in DOG DAY AFTERNOON. Charlie in MEAN STREETS fails in his attempts to balance his neighborhood mob connections with his religious upbringing. Also, the 1950s and 1960s-style "anti-hero" often fails; think Paul Newman in COOL HAND LUKE.