SCREEN-L Archives

May 2012, Week 1

From:
Mark Nornes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 20:42:13 -0400
Back when I started studying Japanese cinema, I took Noël Burch at his word when he wrote that there was no film theory to be found in Asia. I suspect the common sense in the halls of SCMS conference hotels hasn't changed all that much. But this conference will turn that upside-down. More than 60 papers on film theory in Japanese, Korean and Chinese, ranging from the 1910s to the present! Check it out. Come if you can.

http://filmtheories.org/upcoming-conference-film-theory-in-korea-japan-and-sinophone-asia-university-of-michigan-2012/

Markus Nornes

_________________________________
A. M. Nornes
Chair, Department of Screen Arts and Cultures
Professor, Department of Asian Languages & Cultures
Professor, School of Art & Design
University of Michigan
North Quad 6F, 105 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608
Phone: 734-763-1314
FAX: 734-936-1846

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org