SCREEN-L Archives

March 2012, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 06:49:31 -0700
Peter C. Rollins writes...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Subject: Film and History vs. Film History: Two Fine Journals with
different roles
To: [log in to unmask]

**
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:22:32 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Film History not the same as Film & History, but both are good!

Congratulations to Film History and to Indiana University for accessing the
 famed film journal.  Kudos to all as the journal moves into a new future
with articles about motion pictures and the history of the medium.

It might be helpful as a footnote to indicate that FILM HISTORY is not the
same as FILM & HISTORY,
although the two are often conflated, sometimes by authors who submit
articles.  (I once encountered an irate author at an AHA meeting who
 scolded me
for not reviewing his submission in a timely way.  Since I  always blame
myself in such encounters, I went home and searched everywhere for  the
article.  Finally, I called the author to ask about the focus of the  piece
and we
then realized that he had sent it to FILM HISTORY (at that time at
Rutgers) and not FILM & HISTORY (at that time at OSU-Stillwater).  One  of
us had
quite a laugh over the confusion.

So....FILM HISTORY will now be located at the University of Indiana--which
already has some important journals like the AHR  in its quiver.
_http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/film_history/_
(http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/film_history/)

And here is the address for Film & History.

Film & History: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Film and Television  Studies
   _http://www.uwosh.edu/filmandhistory/submissions/index.php_
(http://www.uwosh.edu/filmandhistory/submissions/index.php)

Film & History is under the editorship of Loren PQ Baybrook of the  English
department, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])    Director of Communications
is Cynthia Miller [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])

Each of these journals has a distinct mission which will be limned on  the
web sites.  Film History has its eye on the evolution of film from a
historical perspective. Film & History examines film against the background
 of
history--as understood by historians.  Both journals are of the highest
quality, of course.

Anyone interested in Film & History should attend the biennial meeting  in
September, 2012.  The web site has a full panoply of areas for papers at
the meeting in Milwaukee.

With fastidious distinctions,

Peter C. Rollins
www.petercrollins.com

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org