SCREEN-L Archives

February 2012, Week 1

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:05:30 +0000
I know very little about the history of government and private funding for the film industry, but two thoughts do leap to mind as avenues to investigate:
1. any funding that might have been available through Roosevelt's WPA akin to the Federal Theatre Program and Federal Art Program--but given film's (not to mention animation's) shaky status as "art," I think it unlikely,  all the more unlikely, given Disney's political proclivities.
2. Much more obvious--Saludos Amigos, which was released in 1942, and not targeted to military audiences but aided by the federal agency headed by Nelson Rockefeller.  Details about the type and degree of federal support should be available.

Don Larsson
"I mean, everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt."
--Harvey Pekar

Donald F. Larsson, Professor
English Department, Minnesota State University, Mankato