SCREEN-L Archives

December 2011, Week 5

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:08:26 -0600
The recent request we received at ScreenLex, our pronunciation guide for
film/TV studies, for a Finnish pronunciation reminded me that we are always
looking for help from native speakers in languages other than English. In
fact, I often draft our international graduate students at the University
of Alabama for ScreenLex recordings.

If you are a native speaker of a language other than English, would you
like to contribute some MP3s of the names of film/TV directors, actors,
etc? Take a look, for instance, at the list of names we plan to add to
ScreenLex:

http://screenlex.org/items-to-be-added/

We are, of course, not limited to these names. In fact, if you live outside
the US/Canada you might know better than us who should be included.

The ScreenLex format is very simple and can be recorded quickly:

And I always speak the name slowly and distinctly, to help those trying to
learn its pronunciation.

If you are interested, let me know. You could send me MP3s of your
recordings, to which I would add our credit line and post on ScreenLex.

Oh, and here's what I came up with for Antti Jokinen:

http://screenlex.org/jokinen-antti/

Have a fine new year, everybody!

--
Jeremy Butler