SCREEN-L Archives

August 2011, Week 1

From:
Doc Britto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2011 23:39:55 +0200
Hello,

I am trying to find some historical "firsts" concerning young/preschool
children's cartoons (TV and film), both one-time or series, for the US.
I"m defining preschool rather losely as younger than 7.

Here is my difficulty so far: books usually employ simply the word
"children" as in "children's program," children's film, etc., but only
in recent decades has the division between older kids and preschoolers
been emphasized. Before the late 60s (in particular with Sesame Street),
I have not found a specific reference to a preschool cartoon, a
preschool animation movie for theater release, or a preschool TV cartoon
series in the US.

What is considered to be the first preschool children's television
cartoon series on (American) television?

I am specifically looking for a series that was conceived for children
under 7, so not an unspecified children's program that is geared to
include all children (both preschool and elementary school children).

The same for an animated movie in theaters-- is there anything in
American film history that is equivalent to the German "Moonbeam Bear
and His Friends," for example? This movie is aimed at younger children
(losely defined).

I am also interested in finding any hand-drawn cartoons (even if not
series) or other animation techniques (like marionettes ) before the
late 1960s that were conceived primarily for a preschool audience, or
any articles on the subject.

Thank you for any references or tips.

Regards,
V. Britto

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org