SCREEN-L Archives

August 2011, Week 1

From:
Paul Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2011 07:37:57 -0500
Apologies for cross-posting

Hi,

I'm attempting to put together a panel for SCMS that deals with the current state of offline media fandom and fan practices. If anyone would be interested in contributing, please send me a bio and a 250 word abstract by Aug 15. I will send responses about acceptance by Friday, Aug 19.

Contemporary Media Fandom: Fan Practices

Much has been written about fan practices online; but as the twentieth anniversary of the publication of Jenkins' germinal Textual Poachers approaches, it seems a fitting time to examine offline fan practices as well. Textual Poachers emerged at a decisive moment in contemporary media: the popularization of the DVD, the computer, and the Internet were but a few years away. It's clear that fans have embraced digital technology. This panel will investigate how the advent of digital technology has affected contemporary off-line practices of fans as well. How has digital technology shifted the role of the convention? Have fans embraced new forms of offline participation? How have older fans embraced (or not) new technologies?

Thanks,

Paul Booth

--
Paul Booth, PhD
Assistant Professor of New Media and Technology

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org