SCREEN-L Archives

April 2011, Week 1

From:
Aaron Gerow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:15:59 -0400
An announcement of a project that I was involved in:

Greetings,

We would like to announce the new release of THE DOCUMENTARIES OF
NORIAKI TSUCHIMOTO from Zakka Films. We were somewhat reticent to
advertise our new products at a time of great crisis in Japan, but
given the documentarist Noriaki Tsuchimoto's long commitment to
battling environmental pollution and critiquing modern Japanese
society and the corporate state, we finally felt we should release
them now since his works are as pertinent today as they ever were.

Noriaki Tsuchimoto is one of the most important figures in the history
of Japanese documentary, famous for his compelling films on the
mercury poisoning incident in Minamata, Japan, and for his fascinating
portraits of a modernizing Japan and a changing Asia. Tsuchimoto was
involved in over 100 films, of different topics and styles, and Zakka
Films is introducing four of those, starting with MINAMATA: THE
VICTIMS AND THEIR WORLD, one of the masterpieces of world documentary;
ON THE ROAD: A DOCUMENT, a traffic safety documentary that was so
critical of modern Japan it was shelved for 40 years; and two rare
documents of Afghanistan filmed in the 1980s before the Taliban,
including TRACES: THE KABUL MUSEUM, the world’s only moving
image record of a priceless collection that was largely lost to bombs
and looting. The DVD comes with the booklet, The Documentaries of
Noriaki Tsuchimoto, which includes a critical evaluation of
Tsuchimoto’s career and commentaries on each film by prominent
scholars.

New Release!

THE DOCUMENTARIES OF NORIAKI TSUCHIMOTO

Four masterworks by one of Japan's greatest documentary filmmakers

Bringing the world's untold stories to light, from the scourges of
Japan's modernization to Afghanistan before the Taliban

Now on DVD with English subtitles. You can view the trailer for each
DVD on YouTube by clicking the trailer link.

●ON THE ROAD:  A DOCUMENT  (DVD-R / Region Free / NTSC / 42
min. /  B&W)

The Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIam9NlwxC0
A powerful, award-winning critique of the newly modernized Japan of
1963 seen through the eyes of a taxi driver.

●MINAMATA:  THE VICTIMS AND THEIR WORLD  (DVD-R / Region Free /
NTSC / 120 min. /  B&W)

The Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf6FHMR7LVQ
Celebrated as a masterpiece of documentary, MINAMATA follows the
victims of Minamata disease, Japan’s most notorious case of
environmental pollution, in their struggle for recognition and
compensation.

●ANOTHER AFGHANISTAN: KABUL DIARY 1985 (DVD-R / Region Free /
NTSC / 42 min. / Color)

The Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idvlkMp2CP4
An engrossing portrait of Kabul in the days before the Taliban. When
few foreigners were allowed to film in the country, Tsuchimoto
succeeded in revealing the everyday life of Afghanis, particularly
those of women.

●TRACES: THE KABUL MUSEUM 1988 (DVD-R / Region Free / NTSC / 32
min. / Color)

The Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQX8zpVw67Q
A rare tour of the Kabul Museum and its priceless antiquities before
70% of the them were destroyed or stolen. The only moving image record
of this treasure house of Afghani history and culture.

For more information on these DVDs, please visit us at www.zakkafilms.com
.

Now at a reduced price!
To commemorate the release of THE DOCUMENTARIES OF NORIAKI TSUCHIMOTO,
we've reduced the price of THE ROOTS OF JAPANESE ANIME, the first DVD
we released. If you don't yet have this highly acclaimed collection of
classic Japanese animation, which includes the notorious war film,
MOMOTARO'S SEA EAGLE, you can get it now for $10 off!

How to order
If you are an individual customer, please purchase our films at Film
Baby: http://www.filmbaby.com/. Institutions must purchase THE
DOCUMENTARIES OF NORIAKI TSUCHIMOTO directly through us. More
information is available at www.zakkafilms.com

Coming soon!
One of our exciting, upcoming projects is The Filmmakers’
Market. This is  a new marketplace for documentaries that allows
filmmakers to bring their English-subtitled works in for direct sale,
kind of like a farmer’s fresh produce market. We plan to feature
not only Japanese but also other Asian documentaries. We will announce
the grand opening soon!

About Zakka Films
We present some of the classics and great works of Japanese cinema on
information-rich DVDs. Our main focus is anime and documentary, but as
we scour archives and film festivals, our over-riding criteria are
filmmaking excellence and historical significance. Our DVDs will come
stocked with extra bonus features and commentaries by noted scholars
sure to enlighten students, researchers, and even the casual observer
of Japan.
Join us on Facebook, so you can get fresh news from us.

Japan Disaster Relief
For those who are interested in donating to the relief effort, we have
added a convenient link to the Japan Society of New York's relief fund
page to our web page.

Contact:
Seiko Ono
Zakka Films
www.zakkafilms.com

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Director of Undergraduate Studies, Film Studies
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363