SCREEN-L Archives

February 2011, Week 2

From:
Roel Vande Winkel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:57:52 +0100
I teach at a film department. One of my MA students is preparing a
documentary film about a "family secret". The film is about her own
grandfather, who is still married to her grandmother, but who has also been
having (for several decades) an affair with his wife's sister. This matter
is known by most members of the family, but rarely discussed in private and
never in public. My student will have to interview her grandfather, her
grandmother, her great-aunt and several other members of her family.
To prepare my student for this task, we are looking for similar
documentaries. Films that deal with personal secrets or family secrets.
Films for which the director had to ask his interviewees some very personal
and painful questions. We would welcome suggestions regarding film titles or
regarding literature dealing with such topics.

Roel Vande Winkel
Sint-Lukas Brussels University College of Art and Design
University of Antwerp

http://www.ScreenSite.org