SCREEN-L Archives

December 2010, Week 2

From:
Athena Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2010 05:19:23 -0800
We'd like to announce the launch of MEDIA FIELDS JOURNAL: Critical
Explorations in Media and Space, a new graduate online journal based
in the University of California, Santa Barbara's Department of Film
and Media Studies.

Our first issue on VIDEO STORES, edited by Joshua Neves and Jeff
Scheible, is now available at http://www.mediafieldsjournal.org/.

Issue Contents:

"Video Stores: Introduction" by Jeff Scheible and Joshua Neves
"Home, Home (Video) on the Range: Reflections on Small-Town Video
Stores in 2010" by Daniel Herbert
"Things & Movies: DVD Store Culture in Fiji" by Nicole Starosielski
"Exchange and Circulation: An Anthropological Perspective on Video
Stores in Kinshasa" by Katrien Pype
"A Business without a Future? The Parisian Vidéo-Club, Past and
Present" by Brian R. Jacobson and Joshua Neves
"The Death and Life of the Back Room" by Peter Alilunas
"Mapping Hardcore Space" by J. Steven Witkowski
"Riviera Adult Superstore" by Constance Penley
"Pedagogical Spaces, or, What We’ve Lost in the Post-Video-Store Era"
by Roger Beebe
"Browsing for Dissonance: Paratexts, Box-Art Iconography, and Genre"
by Kevin M. Flanagan
"EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE! An Interview with Future Schlock" by Jeff Scheible
"Video Stores, Media Technologies, and Memory" by Rowan Wilken
"Video Rental Store: An Interview with Suzanne Carte-Blanchenot and
Su-Ying Lee" by Mél Hogan
"The Long Tail of the Video Store" by Frederick Wasser
"Free Lifetime Membership" by Matt Kaelin

We invite you to use the comments feature on the website to share your feedback.

Please also note that the call for submissions for our issue on
DOCUMENTARY AND SPACE is now open and can be viewed at
http://www.mediafieldsjournal.org/call-for-submissions/.

Best,
Media Fields Journal Editorial Collective

--
Athena Tan