SCREEN-L Archives

November 2010, Week 1

From:
"Kendrick, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 12:39:56 -0500
I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but as someone who responded to Peter's initial e-mail, I am not troubled by his question or by any of the responses to it. My feeling is that an undergraduate student who seeks out and posts a lengthy and thoughtful question to Screen-L is probably not an example of intellectual laziness. He had clearly done preliminary work, as his references to feminist criticisms of Hitchcock and articles by Andrew Sarris make clear, and he was simply asking for some recommendations for further reading, something that scholars and writers on this and many other listservs do all the time. No one offered to write the paper for him, just point him in the direction of some articles that he will still have to look up, read, digest, and make use of on his own.

James Kendrick, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Communication Studies
Film and Digital Media Division