SCREEN-L Archives

November 2010, Week 1

From:
Peter Longworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 00:50:47 +1100
Introducing myself,

I have been a subscriber to this list since early 2008, but have been
very quiet until recently. I have enjoyed reading many of the posts
here, and have a very keen interest in film and literature (my two
undergraduate majors). I'm particularly interested in 1920-1960
films, with a very keen interest in Hitchcock, Visconti, Lean, Ford,
Powell, Lang, Huston, Curtiz, Resnais, Demey (really only Lola & The
Umbrellas of Cherbourg), Varda, Ozu. My favourite film style is film
noir and I also have a keen interest in noir literature of the
1920s-1940s. I'm currently studying Cinema Authorship and stuides in
Eighteenth-Century Literature (female authors) at the University of
Newcastle. Both courses are taught by very enthusiastic lecturers

I recently sought people's opinions / ideas on a Hitchcock film
project I was studying - several contributors referred to me as a
'kid' who had stumbled onto this board accidentally, or who thought I
would deliberately approach authors of journal papers. It's
interesting how we make judgements about people (I've done it
myself), but I've been here for over two years, and I'm not a 'kid',
I'm a mature age student -38 years old. I felt it was very important
to introduce myself. I have valued everyone's comments and input,
both positive and negative (I take all criticism constructively), and
I have no intention of contacting any influential authors of peer
reviewed papers with regard to my research.

I look forward to reading the posts here but for the most part I'm an
observer and not a poster. I hope I have dispelled any wild myths
about myself as a person and as a student. I take my work extremely
seriously - both as a student and as a library technician. I also
apologise about my very bad spelling in several of the earlier posts
- I have a disability which affects my concentration and typing at times.

Regards

Peter