SCREEN-L Archives

November 2010, Week 1

From:
"Frank, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 19:15:29 -0400
Not to create a bone of contention, but personally I find myself agreeing with Gloria. I don't mind having conversations with undergrads to help spark ideas, but I never was one to "hang out" with them, even electronically. The young man may not have any dubious intentions, but he really should do his own homework.

I recall a similar situation some years ago, in which a student sent forth a fake call for papers on British SciFi to a certain listserv, and then used the abstracts to help her defend her orals. There never was a panel.

As for my two cents, there was some criticism over auteur Hitchcock's treatment of actress Kim Novak after her "illicit" romance with Sammy Davis, Jr. became public. Despite being considered the consummate pro, and having worked with Novak in Vertigo (1958), Hitchcock banned her from his next project, From Amongst the Dead.

Now then Peter - you find the citation!

i'm sorry, but the two situations are not in the least similar . . . one is an honest attempt to be directed to sources that the writer plans to use honestly, the other is simply fraud  . . . and to give the asker information and then tease him with a "you find the citation" is simply mean spirited . . . when we write an essay and cite some obscure info we feel obliged to indicate where we found it . . . i cannot imagine why the same decency would not apply here

and none of this has anything whatsoever to do with "hanging out" with one's students . . . you don't have to like socializing with them to treat them with a modicum of decency

http://www.ScreenSite.org