SCREEN-L Archives

November 2010, Week 1

From:
Frank Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 11:42:55 -0400
I must say I am glad Gloria has said something in this regard. I teach a
methods course that includes library research, and I would be quite angry if
my students circumvented the process of proper library research in this
manner. I also get frustrated when full-fledged academics (generally but not
always newbies to the field of film and media studies) post a question when
they have obviously done little or nothing on their own to initiate research
into the area about which they are seeking information.

I am more than willing to help out when people are doing research in an area
about which I feel I know something, but I do expect a scholar (or in this
case a student) to do his or her own part before coming to the list for
assistance. We are all extremely busy, and I try not to be too busy to help,
but I am way too busy to do other people's work for them.

--
Frank Burke, PhD
Professor, Department of Film and Media

In Italy: