SCREEN-L Archives

October 2010, Week 5

From:
"Kendrick, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:09:22 -0500
Try looking up some of the original 1960 reviews of "Psycho." They were not at all kind, especially for a film that would later become canonized as one of the great masterpieces. Critics thought it was far too violent and in some senses simply depraved and that Hitchcock was wasting his talent on such material. Stanley Kauffman, for example, accused Hitchcock of shocking the audience "past horror-entertainment into resentment." Clearly he didn't watch the film with an actual audience.

James Kendrick, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Communication Studies
Film and Digital Media Division