SCREEN-L Archives

August 2010, Week 4

From:
Jessica Rosner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:26:44 -0400
I don't know of any 100% accurate lists and there are a lot of inaccurate ones around. One thing to be, very, very careful of is non-US films. Under the terms of the GATT treaty literally thousands of film were retroactively copyrighted and even those where no rights holder has yet to file for can still be
"GATTED". Any film released prior to 1923 is PD, but specific versions of those films can get a "special contents" copyright for the score, titles etc. I think it safe to day that about 99% of major studio films are still under copyright, but a few slipped through and a lot of independent or small company films were not renewed and hence fell into the public domain.

I wish there were a simple answer but again no alleged list of PD films is correct and some are very wrong and have lead to some major legal action against people who thought they were. I believe there is a way to do a title by title search on the Library of Congress data base, but remember underlying rights (story, music) can also bite you in the ass.

Good Luck

Jessica Rosner